Super Smash Bros. for 3DS has sold 1.2 million copies, and that makes it the 10th game on Nintendo’s 3D handheld to reach 1 million copies sold.
Nintendo announced that the four-player fighting game sold 485,000 copies in the United States from Oct. 5 through Nov. 1 after selling 705,000 between Oct. 3 and 4. This means Smash has already outsold The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds in the U.S. It is also on a pace to catch up to other hits like Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon.
Here is the full list of the 10 top-selling 3DS games in the United States:
- Mario Kart 7: 3.62 million
- Super Mario 3D Land: 3.34 million
- New Super Mario Bros. 2: 2.33 million
- Pokémon X: 2.11 million
- Pokémon Y: 2.03 million
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D: 1.41 million
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon: 1.36 million
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf: 1.42 million
- Super Smash Bros. for 3DS: 1.2 million
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: 1.06 million
I’ll try to ignore that the best game on the 3DS — A Link Between Worlds — only barely crossed 1 million sold. Otherwise, my heart will break.
Smash’s success on 3DS is big reason Nintendo expects to make a profit this year after losing $229 million during its last fiscal year. And we’re just a few days away from the Wii U version of Smash Bros. making its debut.
Nintendo anticipates big things from that game as well. Earlier this week, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime announced that Smash for Wii U is the most preordered Wii U game since the console launched.